Team Meeting 22-Nov-2012 10-00 to 11-00

From EdFutures
Jump to: navigation, search
EdFutures team meeting

Our regular catch up and review session

Details Participants

Date: Thursday 22-Nov-2012
Time: 10.00 to 11.00 BST
Venue: Digilab (OU Library) + Skype

Organiser: PeterT

Agenda:

  • Welcome
  • Note taker
  • Techy update
    • Liquid threads
    • Referencing
    • Embedded video
    • Registration
    • Alerts
    • Wish list
  • Review of last week
  • Issues/Questions
  •  ??
  • Forward plans
  • AoB

PeterT
Fiona (by Skype)
Mair
Duygu
Joe
HimalayanYati
Subhi

Apologies


REENA

Notes from meeting[edit]

  • Welcome
Present: PeterT, Subhi, Simon, Santosh, Mair
  • Note taker
Mair
  • Techy update
    • Liquid threads
These have now been implemented by Joe. They can be found on the discussion tab for each page and created via the 'Start a new discussion' link. When others contribute to a thread which you have created or to which you have contributed, you will receive a New Message (see top right of screen when you are logged in). You can also add other threads to your watch list by clicking on a link by the thread. The liquid threads facility has the advantage that each thread is linked to a specific page, but it is not possible (or we haven't found out how to) get an overview of all the discussion activity on the site, as it is with forums. We will continue using liquid threads for a while to see if they are adequate so that we don't need to add a forum alongside our wiki site.
  • Referencing
Joe has implemented a referencing method which follows the same format as Wikipedia. Peter was keen to try to adopt the Harvard style and Simon suggested it might be possible to use a mediawiki extension to do this. A request to look into this was added to the Techy To Do list.
  • Embedded video
This has been implemented. Simon suggested that each video could have its own page and those pages could then be transcluded (ie be made to appear part of another page through the inclusion of a piece of code) in multiple pages whenever the video was used. This also makes it possible to generate a 'where used' list for each asset which is manged in this way. To transclude a page, the page name is enclosed in two sets of curly brackets with a colon (:) after the first pair of brackets like this {{:Page Name}}. Peter(?) suggested this might also be a good way to deal with glossary items. Each could have a separate page which could be transcluded onto the complete glossary list and brought in to other pages as necessary.
  • Registration
New users now have to answer a question before being allowed to sign up. The answer can be found by reading the main page. This has reduced the number of rogue accounts being created and saved a lot of work for mods.
  • Alerts
Alerts for liquid threads were mentioned above.
Joe has also added a News feature. See the To Do List for more details.
  • Wish list
Mair asked about setting up templates to make pages look similar to the attractive main page. This may be considered in future, but for now we can copy code for multiple columns and coloured heading blocks. Simon also suggested using Open Office or Libra office to set up pages. These can then be transferred to the wiki.
Peter encouraged us to add our ideas to the To Do List.
  • Review of last week
Mair - started new page for technology and language learning.
Peter reminded us of some conventions we are using:
  • ICT - refers to the study of ICT as a subject in its own right.
  • Embedded Technology - changes the nature of the subject which it is being used to support.
  • Techology Enhanced Learning - supports teaching a subject but does not change its nature.
Discussion followed on whether we should deliver content split by subject and then by technology type or by technology type and then split by subject. Agreed by subject was more likely to be useful to teachers but both ways of organising information could be achieved by using different indexes.

Santosh discussed dealing with Acronyms. It was agreed each acronym should have a separate page with the full expansion of the acronym as the title (eg the ICT page would have title Information and Computer Technology) with the initials which make up the acronym capitalised. Further information on the acronym may also be included on that page. Then, whenever the acronym is used elsewhere on the wiki, it should be set up as a link to its own page. In this way (as Simon explained), when a user hovers over the acronym, they will see the full expansion of the acronym. Each page will be placed in the category Acronyms (and / or Glossary) too. Santosh is going to set up these pages for acronyms and do a global edit of the wiki so that if acronyms have been used previously they will get updated to be links. In future contributors are to set up the links from acronyms whenever they include them on a page.

Subhi is looking into including information from an Open University publication (or the publication itself) on the website. Because it has only been cleared for publication on paper for OU students, clearing will be required for web publication and it may be necessary to edit out references to non-OU texts. Subhi will check what can be taken out before Peter submits it for clearance to the Rights Office.
  • Issues/Questions
  •  ??
  • Forward plans
  • AoB
Simon mentioned that we might like to use 'collapsible content' to make pages neater. There is an explanation of how to set it up [here].
Peter demonstated a the YOTS (Your One Technology Survey) which has been created to investigate what technology pupils might be able to bring into school. A case study is taking place in 26 schools. There was a good deal of interest in the platform used to deliver this survey. Peter will provide more details.

Minutes Announcement

Next Meeting


Go back to the Meetings page