Researchers to do case studies in schools
Vital is looking for consultants to carry out research in schools, with a particular focus on the following areas:
- 1:1 computing
- Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)
- Bring Your Own Technology (BYOT)
- Digital Leaders
- Cloud computing
- Responsible use policies
- Flipped classrooms
- Virtual Schools / Online Tuition
Each consultant will carry out one case study, with each case study involving one school. Our expectation is that most schools that are engaging with one of these things are also likely to be doing others as well (e.g. BYOD and Responsible use policies).
Vital will provide an overall framework for data collection, including details of categories of staff/pupils who need to be interviewed, core data collection tools (e.g. semi-structured interview schedules), reporting templates, etc..
Consultants will be responsible for identifying their case study school (in liaison with the Vital team) and negotiating its involvement in the project.
We envisage that each case study will require between 3 and 4 days in school. We're allows two days for preparation/negotiating access, and four days for documenting the data collection/analysis (in an agreed format) and writing a short case study. The case study will be produced in an agreed format and published by us on EdFutures.net.
We will pay the consultant £3,500 (excluding VAT) per case study, plus reasonable expenses (to be agreed in advance). We will also provide £1,000 per school to cover supply costs.
Payment will be made on satisfactory submission of the required outputs by the consultant.
Suitable consultants will:
- have proven expertise in conducting research in schools, collecting data through interviews and observations
- be good at communicating with pupils, parents, teachers and senior leaders
- be able to analyse data critically
- be able to present research findings in an accessible way (using a pre-defined template)
- be available to attend a whole day workshop in Milton Keynes on the 19th October (see NB below)
- be able to complete the research between the 22nd October and the end of December 2012.
If you are interested in carrying out one (or more) case studies for Vital then email Peter.Twining@open.ac.uk by noon on the 15th October, with the subject line 'Case study consultancy', and the following information:
- a copy of your CV
- brief evidence to demonstrate that you meet our requirements (the bullet points set out above)
The second stage of the selection process will be to attend the one day workshop on the 19th October. We will notify those people who we wish to attend this workshop by 9am on the 17th October. We will pay reasonable travel expenses and a fee of £200 (excluding VAT) for attending the selection workshop.
NB If you are unable to attend the workshop on the 19th October but meet all of the other criteria then send in your application, making it clear that you can't make the workshop on the 19th and some dates when you would be able to attend a whole day workshop in Milton Keynes – if we don't get enough people who can make the 19th or lots of people who can't it then we may put on another selection workshop at a later date.