NP3 Exploratory Study methodology
Exploratory studies will be undertaken in 10 of the sites identified in the previous phase.
The methodology used will be based on the Vital Studies Methodology (Twining, 2014), which in turn was based on the methodology used in the original Becta tablet PC research (Twining et al., 2005) and was subsequently adapted for the Snapshot Studies (Twining, 2013b). The methodology involves seven days of researcher time per study. This includes:
- one day for staff development to ensure that all the researchers understand the aims and foci of the project, are confident in using the data collection instruments, and are familiar with the data analysis and reporting procedures and templates.
- half a day for preparation, including liaising with the exploratory study school prior to the researcher visit.
- one day in the exploratory study setting, collecting data.
- one day for reviewing and ‘reporting’ on the first day in school and to prepare for the second day in school
- one more day in the exploratory study setting, collecting data.
- one and a half days for data analysis and ‘reporting’ on the second day in school.
- one day for debriefing and sharing initial data analysis
Each Exploratory Study will follow the same basic design, which involves a researcher spending two days in the school. The researcher works with a school facilitator before visiting the school to arrange the schedule for the two visits and ensure that participants are happy to take part. Data collection specifically involves:
- The head teacher (or a member of the senior leadership team (SLT)) takes part in a brief interview.
- The school facilitator helps coordinate the day and organises for the researcher to go on a tour of the school (including spending a couple of minutes in a range of classes).
- 4 pairs of pupils and their carers/parents take part in a briefing session to explain the Digital Logs that they will each keep of the pupils’ ICT use.
- Teacher A takes part in an interview, is observed teaching and has a short debriefing discussion.
- 6 pupils in Teacher A’s class (Focus Group A) are observed (at the same time as Teacher A) and take part in a group interview.
- Teacher B takes part in a short briefing meeting
- The ICT Coordinator takes part in a short briefing meeting
Between Day 1 and Day 2
- Teacher A fills in a questionnaire.
- Teacher B fills in a questionnaire.
- The ICT Coordinator fills in a questionnaire.
- 4 pairs of pupils and their carers/parents log the pupils’ use of ICT over two days.
- 6 other teachers fill in a short questionnaire.
- The pupils and their carers/parents who have filled in digital logs have individual interviews (to discuss what their logs show).
- Teacher B takes part in an interview, is observed teaching, and has a short debriefing discussion.
- 6 pupils in Teacher B’s class (Focus Group B) are observed (at the same time as Teacher B) and take part in a group interview.
- Other teachers who filled in the short questionnaire have 10 minute interviews about their responses.
Schools will be provided with £200 for supply cover to facilitate the data collection (e.g. to cover teachers when they are being interviewed)Download all of the data collection guides and other documents.