NP3 Exploratory Study data collection summary
Each Exploratory Study will follow the same basic design, which involves a researcher spending two days in the school. The researcher works with a school facilitator before visiting the school to arrange the schedule for the two visits and ensure that participants are happy to take part. Data collection specifically involves:
- The head teacher (or a member of the senior leadership team (SLT)) takes part in a brief interview.
- The school facilitator helps coordinate the day and organises for the researcher to go on a tour of the school (including spending a couple of minutes in a range of classes).
- 4 pairs of pupils and their carers/parents take part in a briefing session to explain the Digital Logs that they will each keep of the pupils’ ICT use.
- Teacher A takes part in an interview, is observed teaching and has a short debriefing discussion.
- 6 pupils in Teacher A’s class (Focus Group A) are observed (at the same time as Teacher A) and take part in a group interview.
- Teacher B takes part in a short briefing meeting
- The ICT Coordinator takes part in a short briefing meeting
Between Day 1 and Day 2
- Teacher A fills in a questionnaire.
- Teacher B fills in a questionnaire.
- The ICT Coordinator fills in a questionnaire.
- 4 pairs of pupils and their carers/parents log the pupils’ use of ICT over two days.
- 6 other teachers fill in a short questionnaire.
- The pupils and their carers/parents who have filled in digital logs have individual interviews (to discuss what their logs show).
- Teacher B takes part in an interview, is observed teaching, and has a short debriefing discussion.
- 6 pupils in Teacher B’s class (Focus Group B) are observed (at the same time as Teacher B) and take part in a group interview.
- Other teachers who filled in the short questionnaire have 10 minute interviews about their responses.
Schools will be provided with £200 for supply cover to facilitate the data collection (e.g. to cover teachers when they are being interviewed)